↑ Palaa kohteeseen English pages

Local history

Haminas three easternmost villages, namely Rakila, Mäntlahti and Pyötsaari are situated by the sea alongside the old Kingsroad, which leads from Turku to Viipuri.
Because of the way the villages are situated they share an interesting history going back to the 1200 century, when southeatern Finland was merged with Sweden and when the King of Sweden had the castle of Viipuri built in1293 to secure his power.
To secure the areas he had conquered and the running of the castle the King aimed to populate the coastal regions of Virolahti and Vehkalahti.

 

Mervi Hyppänen, translation in English Kati Forknall

 


 

Mäntlahti history

Mäntlahti is Hamina’s easternmost coastal village, which during the 1500-century was at times counted to be a part of Vehkalahti and at times to be a part of Virolahti. To begin with the number of the estates was three or four and in the 1650’s five: 1) Ristola, later Puustelli or Hovi 2) Yrjönen 3) …

Katso sivun »

Pyötsaari history

During the 1200-century a beaconlight warning system was established to warn the inhabitants of approaching enemies. Pyötsaari’s Vartiovuori-island was an important part of this chain of defence because of its Tonttivuori’s elevated situation. The inhabitants of the island had guard-duty. Pyötsaari has been inhabited at least from the 1300-century. The land of the island was …

Katso sivun »

Rakila history

Out of the three villages Rakila is the westernmost. The first mentions of Brakila are found in the document acertaining the borders of Vehkalahti from the year 1458. Land records from 1551 mention three landlords of Brakila: Lasse Mikonpoika, Ambrosius Niilonpoika and Sigfrid Heikinpoika Braki. Two of the estates were laid desolate in the 1550’s …

Katso sivun »